What you need:
Slow Cooker or Large Pot
Large Oven dish
Ingredients for the filling:
600g Chopped Beef Steak
2 OXO Cubes
Beef Stock Cube
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
600ml Boiling Water
Ingredients for pastry:
200g Plain Flour
¼ Teaspoon Salt
Cold Water (1-1 ½ tsp per 30g flour- until combined)
1. Preheat oil in a frying pan on a medium heat
2. Fry you steak, stirring frequently until browned on each side.
3. Dice your onions finely and fry gently with the steak with a splash of Worcestershire sauce
4. Make your stock by boiling your water with your oxo cube and beef stock cube
5. In your large pot(or slow-cooker) add your steak, onion, and stock.
6. Leave this to simmer for 30 minutes (or in a slow cooker over-night on a low heat)
To make the pastry:
1. Sieve your flour and salt into a mixing bowl
2. Add your butter and cut into the flour using the knife, then rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
3. Slowly add cold water to bind the dough together
4. Wrap your dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes (You can leave it here over night if you are cooking your steak in the slow cooker)
7. Stir in some gravy granules to your mixture if you notice your gravy doesn’t appear thick enough as your pie topping will not rest on top if your gravy is too thin.
8. Transfer the filling to an ovenproof dish. Line the rim with a thin strip of pastry.
9. Dampen the rim with a beaten egg.
10. Roll your pastry out to fit across the top of the dish and place on top of the dish, press the edges together to create a seal.
11. Create a steam hole in the centre of your pie and brush all over with more beaten egg
12. Transfer to oven and cover with tin foil. Cook 40 minutes then remove the tin foil and cook for a further 20 minutes before taking out the oven remove the tin foil.
13. Boil up potatoes and veg to serve with your pie.
14. Serve and enjoy.
If you have any left over pastry you can freeze it to use the next time you are making a pie.