What you need:
Large frying pan or Deep fat fryer
4 cups of Plain flour
5 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup of milk
(sugar, icing sugar)
1. Sieve your flour into a bowl with your baking powder then rub in your butter.
2. Now mix in your sugar.
3. In a separate bowl mix your egg and milk. Make a hole in the centre of your mixture and pour in your egg mixture.
4. Mix together to form your dough
5. You should now lightly flour your work surface and roll out your dough mixture to cut into your doughnut shape.
6. Use a large mug to cut your larger circle from the dough and a bottle cap lid to remove the inner circle.
7. Heat quite a bit of oil in a frying pan until it is extremely hot. Add your doughnuts to the pan with tongs and turn over after 30 seconds. If you are using the deep fat fryer you can lift them out in the basket and flip them.
8. Allow to cool once cooked, then roll in sugar.
9. To create glazed doughnuts, mix 2 cups of icing sugar with warm water and coat the doughnut and allow to set.